Letters to legislature needed
Dear fellow Beaver Allies & Advocates,
I am reaching out with a request for action in support of HB 2843, the legislative proposal to close recreational and commercial trapping on federally-managed public lands. We have arrived at our first critical hurdle that must be crossed if HB 2843, and Oregon’s streams and human and wild communities, have a chance of benefiting from the many water and habitat-related benefits of beavers.
HB 2843 has been assigned to the House Committee on Agriculture on Natural Resources. Unfortunately, that committee has also been assigned around 100 other pieces of legislation, so HB 2843 faces stiff competition for time and attention – if a bill does not get a hearing, it “dies” in committee, and will not move forward during this legislative session.
Here’s how you can help:
- Send an official letter from your organization asking for letter
- Ask your group members to send a letter
- Send this correspondence ASAP
Tips for the letter:
- When to take action? Now! The sooner the better, and preferably by next Friday.
- Include two main messages:
- Ask the committee to please schedule a public hearing for HB 2843
- Say why it’s important to help beaver thrive on the landscape. Tie it to your community and its needs as well as the larger picture. If you live in a rural community, please state that upfront. This is not an urban vs. rural way of life bill but an Oregon water security, water quality-drought preparedness-natural resources-fish and wildlife habitat-wildfire mitigation bill that benefits all Oregonians.
- Feel free to use language from the info sheet/FAQ. It’s best to pick one or two points to include with your request for a hearing. Stressing the importance of the water-related benefits will be helpful.
- Letters should be fairly short and to the point. Longer is not better.
- Personalized/individualized letters are preferred over form letters, and often more influential.
- Make the subject line in the email something like:
- Please schedule a hearing for HB 2843 to support beavers
- Requesting a public hearing for HB 2843/Beaver Legislation
- HB 2843/Beaver Legislation Needs a Hearing this session!
- In support of HB 2843 & Beaver Legislation
- Letter can be “Dear” or “To”: Chair Brad Witt, House Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources; or Chair Brad Witt and Legislators
Please cc your letter via email to these legislators:
Thank you so much for your time and partnership in support of creating a vibrant future for Oregon with the help of beavers and the habitat they build and maintain at little to no cost! Oregon’s future water security, its streams, fish, wildlife and human communities need beavers, and beavers need the protection that comes with HB 2843.