About this Show:
Living Downstream is a program for folks who’d like to learn about environmental topics of interest in the Umpqua Watershed of southern Oregon, and the larger Pacific Northwest region. It is coordinated by the AmeriCorps member serving as the Environmental Education & Outreach Leader for the Umpqua Watershed organization in an effort to bring awareness of environmental issues to a wider audience.
If you live in Roseburg, you can tune in via our KQUA station (99.7). Otherwise, click the button below to access KQUA’s website, where you can listen to a livestream from anywhere! Each week, we interview different experts to learn about various issues including waste management, the role of art in environmentalism, ecosystem restoration, water quality, wildlife rehabilitation, and more!
Would you like to be on the show?
If you have knowledge an experience on an environmentally-related topic and would like to be interviewed for the show, contact our Environmental Education & Outreach leader by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for Episode 4 – Observing Birds & Other Wildlife (Airing February 6th & 7th)
In this episode, we’ll hear from Damon Lesmeister and Matthew Hunter about how technology is being used to help researchers collect data about birds, and some tips an suggestions for attracting birds and other wildlife to your yard.
Links/Websites Mentioned in (or related to) Episode 4
- Wondering what a bird song looks like? Check out this spectrogram of a spotted owl call from the National Park Service
- Pacific Northwest Research Station – Information on Acoustic Monitoring of Owls
- UmpquaBirds.org – Link
- Great Backyard Bird Count (Happening February 12th – 15th!) – Want to get involved? Click here.
- Want to learn more about Matt’s work? – Matthew Hunter’s Website
- Tool for Identifying Various Species – iNaturalist.org
Episode 1 – On Trail Hiking (Aired January 16th & 17th, 2021)
Links/Websites Mentioned in Episode 1
- Forest Service Website
- Oregon Hikers Field Guide Website
- Smithsonian Article about Tree Communication & “The Hidden Life of Trees” author Peter Wohlleben
- American Hiking Society’s Tips for Hiking with Kids
- REI’s Tips for Hiking with Infants, Toddlers, & Kids
- Turning Over a New Leaf Book Club
- Information about Borrowing a Water Quality Monitoring Test Kit
- Facebook Link for the Virtual Cultural Fair (highlighted in the AmeriCorps Minute)
Episode 2 – Art & Environmentalism (Aired January 23rd & 24th, 2021)
Links/Websites Mentioned in Episode 2
Episode 3 – Water Quality (Aired January 30th & 31st, 2021)
Links/Websites Mentioned in Episode 3
- Partnership for the Umpqua Rivers (PUR) Website
- USGS National Water Information System – Current Conditions for Oregon:
- Water Quality Report for the City of Roseburg – March 2020
- Glide Water Association Consumer Confidence Report – 2019
Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0
Free Download / Stream: https://bit.ly/forest-
Music promoted by Audio Library: https://youtu.be/OMjF_